Yoga is a holistic practice that integrates the mind with focus, the breath through energy techniques and practice, and the body in movement and postures. The tapestry created is a magical resonance of transformation that makes yoga different both neurologically and physically, manifesting true awareness and bringing inner-strength, clarity and a great sense of calm. Yoga is a comprehensive system of healing that dates back to the Veda (6000 BCE). There are many ways to practice yoga including meditation, study, self enquiry, chanting and the physical asana practice known as hatha yoga. Here at Bare Roots Natural Health and Yoga Centre you will find a delightful variety of yoga choices, enhancing your personal inward journey.
We offer Yoga in the following ways:
- Group Drop-in Classes: To Register Click Here.
- Introduction to Yoga Class Series: To Register Click Here.
- Level 1 Class Series: To Register Click Here.
- Private One-on-One Lessons: To Register Click Here.
- Private Group Lessons: To Register Click Here.
Group Drop-in Classes: We offer varied classes throughout the week that tailor to all levels of the practitioner including the basics for beginners. Our 75 minutes classes involve expertly sequenced yoga postures, followed by a 10 minute meditation. For those with reduced mobility we offer restorative and gentle yoga classes. There are many different types of class passes to choose from. To Register Click Here.
Introduction to Yoga Class Series: This 5 week course is an introduction to the foundation asanas (postures), with emphasis on proper body alignment and breathing. Yoga builds muscle tone, improves strength and flexibility of the spine and joints, and improves blood circulation and eases tension. This class is for students with little or no previous experience of yoga.
Level 1 Class Series: This 5-week course offers detailed teachings and individual attention to correct alignment of the yoga postures, and the practice of pranayama (breathing techniques). This series of lessons are recommended as an extension of our ‘Introduction to Yoga’ course.
Private Lessons: The Instructor offers private lessons one-on-one or in a private small group.
One-on-one Private Lessons: Suitable for individuals who have never tried Yoga and prefer to have an introduction prior to taking part in group classes, or for individuals who have attended classes and would like some personal instruction in order to get the most from their practice and increase benefits. Also suitable for individuals who simply prefer the private, one-on-one approach to a group class environment.
Private Group Lessons: If you have a work or social group interested in sharing in Yoga practice together, this is a great option for you. The class(s) is scheduled according to your needs and limited to your group members only. Groups 6 – 10 people.
Benefits of Yoga
- decreases blood pressure.
- lowers the pulse rate; with connected challenges; increases pulse and aids cardiovascular health.
- massages all the internal glands and organs of the body increasing immunity.
- improves circulation by gently stretching muscles and joints and massaging the various organs.
- transports nutrients and oxygen throughout the body.
- flushes out toxins from the system.
- strengthens and tones the core; creates body awareness and connection.
- increases muscle definition throughout the body supporting strong bones and joints.
- stimulates muscle to increase metabolism.
- reduces level of stress hormone, cortisol.
- strengthens the nervous system, reducing long-term stress levels; a safe place for inner journeys.
- increases neurotransmition in the brain.
Crystal McMillan holds an E-RYT 500 (Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher – 500 hours training/5000 hours of teaching experience) designation, Certified Sivananda Yoga teacher with additional intensive teacher training in the Iyengar tradition. After graduating in 1999 from the South Okanagan Yoga Association, she taught for over 20 years in Ucluelet and Tofino. Crystal continues to study intensively with senior local, and national yoga teachers. Crystal is a member of the International Yoga Teachers Association (IYTA). In addition to Crystal’s experience and knowledge of yoga, she holds a Master’s Degree in Leadership from Royal Roads University and is a practicing Registered Nutritional Consultant. Crystal is a member of the International Organization of Nutrition Consultants (IONC).